With more people at home and more time to be in the kitchen, it's the perfect opportunity to try new things. Why not try making your own yoghurt? Kids will love to help and see the process, and you'll support our dairy farmers at the same time!
You will need
1 litre of full fat milk
3 tablespoons of live yogurt (Llaeth y Llan natural yoghurt works perfectly)
You will need the following equipment:
Thermometer, Saucepan, Wooden Spoon, Flask
- Start by putting the milk in a saucepan, and heat the milk to 85 degrees celsius.
- Once the milk has reached 85 degrees, remove from the heat and leave to cool, until it reaches 45 degrees (about 5-10 minutes)
- Once the milk is 45 degrees, mix the live yoghurt in with the milk.
- Place the mixture in a well-sealed flask and let it stand for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, place the mixture in sterile jars or pots and place in the fridge. The yogurt will be fine to eat for a few days. Remember to smell and check the yogurt before eating it, as live bacteria is used, it is important to be careful. Like any food, if it smells bad, don't eat it!
- The yogurt can be used for a healthy breakfast with fruit, in delicious desserts, or when cooking a curry or soup.